We left on Friday morning for Puerto Rico and stayed the night in a cute little non-hotel called San Juan Suites. I was pleasantly surprised with the place Carma & Travis picked out. They did a great job! Once we checked in, we found a great place to eat called Las Ruices just two blocks away. The common dish in Puerto Rico is called Mofongo, which is mashed green plantains served with some kind of protien. It is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I really want to learn how to make it. However, as good as it was that night, it didn't agree with me the next day, if you know what I mean.
A plantain is pretty much like a banana. Too much fiber maybe.
Is that TMI?
Who cares...it's my blog!
After we ate, Mike, Kristie, Blake, Shannon, Joseph and I went in search of a fun disco. By the time we found one, Joseph and I were exhausted so we decided to go back to the hotel. The others stayed and had a blast. Needless to say, I was a little jealous hearing their stories the next day. I wish I would have stuck it out.

Joseph and me on the plane

We've arrived! Outside our hotel

Dad, Mom, Carma & Travis at Las Raices

J, me, Mike & Kristie

Shannon & Blake

All the girls with our server. They all had to wear this outfit. When I was looking at this picture later, I thought "Who's the girl on Shannon's left?" and then I realized it was part of the painting. Just a little glimpse into a day in the life of Erin. :)
We had all day Saturday to see the sights in Old San Juan before we had to board our ship. Old San Juan is beautiful! The streets are lined with colorful buildings and everything is really compacted - nothing like Texas. A cobblestone street runs all through Old San Juan also. We went to see the San Juan Gate which is the three mile wall that encloses Puerto Rico. In order to enter the city, you had to enter through one of five gates. The entrance we went through was used for centuries by Spanish dignitaries. They would enter and immediately walk up the street to the San Juan Cathedral to give thanks to God for a safe journey. Guards secured the gates at night and if you were on the other side when they were shut, you were locked out until the morning! Once we entered through the gate, we went to see the fort. This was really cool! All the history behind it was pretty amazing and you really got a sense of what Puerto Ricans went through in order to protect their families and their land.
One of the streets we walked down. I love all the colors.
This building was my favorite. I'm a huge fan of orange and blue. Check out Dad in the corner. There was a FOR SALE sign. We were all trying to get him to buy it. :)

Shannon on the streets of Puerto Rico! That should be a song.

A really fat cat on the streets of Puerto Rico...that should be a song too.

Brothers

Me & J outside of San Juan Gate
Just a normal day with the Martinos. You can see the fort in the background. And Mikey doing an Irish jig. I was so proud!
All the girls standing on a Danish battleground. Yeah, we lift weights...
An amazing backdrop
This was the view from the bathroom

The boys with cannonballs

The girls with cannonballs

Joseph being awesome in a sentry box. This is where guards would hang out and watch for invaders.

This is one of the many living quarters for the soldiers and their families. This picture doesn't do the cramped space justice and two or three families would live in each room!
We also went to see San Juan Cathedral but those pics are pretty boring. All in all, we had an incredible time in Puerto Rico and it was the perfect start to our vacation.
4 comments:
I have been waiting for these posts! So excited to hear about all the adventures you had.
You are cute in braids! You are looking good Mrs. Martino!! How pretty is Puerto Rico I love the pics!!
Thanks Linds!
What fun! And Lindsey's right! You look really cute in the braids.
Post a Comment