A few weekends ago, I went to Pennsylvania to surprise my very best, very pregnant friend, Alexa. This girl is IMPOSSIBLE to surprise because she's very analytical and she asks too many questions but I got her!
I flew with Jonathan for the first time since he was born and he did such a great job. Our flight left Love Field at 6:55 am so we were up at 3:00 am and we didn't land until 1:30 pm. It was a looooong day. He only cried when the plane was descending and loved watching the sky out the window. He got antsy a few times during the flight and layover and my saving grace was the portable DVD player and the movie WALL-E my friend Kara let me borrow. Thanks Kara and Kaiya! You saved my life!
Once we got to Alexa's house, her mom took me around back to knock on the door. I'll never forget the look on her face once she opened the door! We haven't seen each other in almost three years, since my wedding to be exact. My visit was totally unexpected; especially since, every time we spoke on the phone, I told her there was no way we could afford to fly me up to see her. I surprised myself by crying at the sight of her! She's so cute and pregnant!
We had a blast that weekend. I went to her last baby shower and we mainly hung around the house. I tasted a Philly Cheesesteak which was awesome but they told me it wasn't the most authentic one I could have. Still good. We also ate really good pizza. (Why do I love food so much?)
They loved Jonathan and he was so well behaved. Thank goodness too! Who wants a bratty child? I was very proud of him. Everyone was also impressed by his golf skills. Tiger Woods, watch out!
On my last full day there, Alexa and her mom, April took me to Lancaster, PA to shop and I got to see so many Amish people. Alexa used to tell me stories about how she would drive to school and see all the Amish kids going to school in their horse drawn carriages. It amazed me and I was so excited to see such a vast culture difference! I took pictures of them as we passed and felt a little weird doing so, but I couldn't help myself. They live in a completely different world! I even got to see one Amish girl sitting outside her home, in her dress and bonnet, reading. I seriously felt like I was in another century. It blew my mind how simple their lives are. I can't go one day without turning a light on. I check my iPhone constantly for email or Facebook. Heck! If my power goes out for even ten minutes, I still walk into a room and hit the switch or try to dry my hair and feel frustrated that I can't. We rely so much on electricity for our everyday routine and they go everyday without it. I truly don't know if I would survive! You could tell which farms were Amish ones because zero power lines led to them and their horse and buggies were parked out front. We drove back from Lancaster as night was falling and you could see candles in the windows. I think one of the funniest things I heard about the Amish in Lancaster is that they're starting to migrate to Ohio because they feel the area they were in was becoming too commercialized. Yet we were out in the sticks!
Monday morning came too soon and Jonathan and I were packed and ready to embark on yet another flying adventure. This time, it was old hat. He was a pro. Never cried once nor did he fuss. Neither of the planes were completely full so he had his own seat which made all the difference in the world! Plus, I sat next to really nice people all 4 times which was really relaxing. Who wants to have a monster sitting next to you complaining about your kid crying when you can't help it at all? Southwest Airlines was great, too. They gave him a little booklet to color and it had a little set of pilot's wings for him. So cute!
All in all, this was a great weekend! I love you Alexa and I'm so pumped I got to see you!
Oh! And, after leaving on Monday, she had their little boy on Thursday! Welcome to the world, Spencer Steven Wildman! Congratulations Jon & Alexa!
Lining up at an intersection

The Amish only wear dark clothes - mostly black and purple. It was unusual to see such a bright color of blue. He must be the trendsetter of his group. Or the black sheep. It could go either way.

Trust me...they were NOT going 45 mph.

Me & Baby J in the car on the way to shop. He was such a trooper the whole weekend!

Alexa posing with the burp cloths I made her. My favorite is the flames one. Very rock n' roll.

This is pretty much how Jonathan spent his evenings - with Alexa's dad, Gary. They watched golf and football all weekend long. Here, they're watching the Cowboys beat on the Eagles. We wore our Cowboys regalia all day long. Surprisingly enough, I was neither punched nor spit on. Good day!

The ladies after a long day of shopping

I love this picture. I'm so disappointed it came out so blurry. :(

Buddha belly - the girl was about to pop!
This is why I love Alexa - she never ceases to crack me up!
1 comments:
Oh Rad!! Good post. I am glad you got to go see her. That is really fun!!!
Post a Comment